- Living in Marshall
Living in Marshall
Marshall Township takes much pride in its rural atmosphere yet it is situated a short 20-minute drive north of Pittsburgh’s business and cultural centers via I79/279. A Township of the Second Class, Marshall is governed by a five-member Board of Supervisors. Approximately 14 square miles in size, it is located in the northwest corner of Allegheny County - thus the “Tops In Allegheny County” logo.
Marshall is bordered by Cranberry Township, Butler County to the North, Franklin Park Borough to the South, Pine Township to the East and Economy Borough, Beaver County to the West, and borders Bradford Woods Borough on three sides. Incorporated June 3, 1863, it was named for Thomas Mercer Marshall, a famous trial lawyer who practiced law in Allegheny County.
Marshall is included in the North Allegheny School District and is a member of the Northern Regional Police Department. All residents have free access to the Northland Public Library, and public transportation to Pittsburgh is available from several locations including a newly constructed Port Authority Park’n Ride.
Two Native American trails, a meteorite, oil wells, and the Harmony Shortline are only a small part of our rich and colorful history of Marshall.
For information on Tombstone inscriptions and burials in Marshall Township Cemeteries see the North Hills Genealogists website.
Advertising of Township Business
Advertisement in the local newspaper is often required for Township business. Public hearings, meetings, bids, ordinances, and various other notices are reported in the newspaper as a service to those interested in Township business. These advertisements can be found with the legal notices in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette daily edition (when required to advertise twice in one week) or the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette "Local Xtra" Friday edition only.